Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Are you fluent in Mandarin?

This last week has been crazy for a lot of reasons - coordinating with some colleagues in the US has led to early mornings and late nights. I've also been called in to help manage a regional client, so getting up to speed has taken quite a bit of time. In the middle of all of this I had a client ask me straight out in an email, "Are you fluent in Mandarin?"

Although I have had friends ask the question, it's normally not direct like that and it took me aback. The first thought that flew through my mind was, "No way!" Then, though I took a step back and after a while composed the answer below:

“As far as my Mandarin, no, I'm not fluent. My listening skills are pretty good as I hear Chinese everyday, I can carry on a conversation, attend a meeting in Chinese and understand most of what is going on (60-80% normally depending on the topic and the speaker) although I normally use English when I need to clarify my points to make sure I am as clear as possible. I am still studying and continue to work on improving my overall communication skill in Mandarin.”

Initially I was embarrassed as I wrote the above, the perfectionist in me still has problems admitting shortcomings. Now, I'm not embarrassed at all. A year and a half ago I didn't speak any Chinese. Instead of looking at my faults, I'm going to focus on how far I've come.

Question - Any thing that you've done the same with? To looking forward...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think there is no need to be fluent in your non-native language as long as you can make your point. Being fluent is a plus though. :-)

你很棒!真的!

Unknown said...

I've been stalking your blog for a new post, so I'm glad to finally see another entry :) Greta, your language skills have always amazed me. I know from seeing you in action that you can communicate with people in Chinese so hold your head up high!