Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pajama Talk

While I was home over the summer I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about how men’s fashion labels are starting to launch new collections with fancy pajamas. Photos of the runway shows included guys wearing pajama pants, Henley tops, fancy slippers, big robes, etc. The article went on to talk about the challenges in the United States of getting men to spend money on pajamas and that most guys will sleep naked or in underwear and a t-shirt. That columnist predicted an uphill battle in sales and that the trend would soon diminish. As I’m re-acclimating here in China I think that those fashion houses should launch the pajamas here. Pajamas are everywhere.

Last week at dinner, Chris told a story about a friend of his who went to a wedding and after getting there discovered that she was very overdressed. One guest was even wearing pajamas! Pajamas at a wedding?

The topic came up again at another dinner I was at. One of the guys commented that he has started wearing pajama bottoms now for the first time in his life. They were a gift, he said, but he is considering buying some more because they are so comfortable. He’s been in China about a year. Hmmm…

When I walk to work in the morning and home at night there are always men on the street wearing pajamas. Sometimes it is a two piece number, the pants with matching button-down top and sometimes it’s just the bottoms with a t-shirt or a wifebeater. You see pajamas hanging from clothes lines and for sale in lots of shops, right in the front window. Lest you think this is merely a male phenomenon, there are also female pajamas all over, some trimmed with lace – lighter, summer models as well as flannel pajamas. The fruit and vegetable market by me is filled with people in pajamas. I don’t really wear pajamas myself – normally it’s shorts and a tank top or sometimes a nightgown, but if I am ever tempted to wear them outside – someone stop me!

Question – Where is the strangest place you’ve worn your sleeping clothes? Or, where have you seen someone wearing pajamas that made you do a double-take?

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me the landdress in Stephen Chow's movie Kung Fu... 哈~

Anonymous said...

I used to have a set of shiny/silky black pajamas that I decided were way comfy. I started wearing the pants with long sweaters/shirts and dressy boots- outfits were born.
Annette

Anonymous said...

Well I've wandered outside in the middle of the night half-awake in my underwear - barefoot in briefs mind you - convinced someone was attempting to break into the house. The neighbors' motion detector lights were a pleasant surprise. Now I rely on the three (THREE!) skunks living under my back porch to keep intruders at bay.
-Paul