Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

走路 (On foot)

One of the reasons that I chose my apartment is that it is very close to my office. Tonight I walked home from work for the second time, making my way along streets that will soon become very familiar. I skirted the touristy Xintiandi area and progressed into my neighborhood. I didn’t see any other foreigners and it was a beautiful evening – clear, crisp and everyone was outside enjoying the air.

I stopped into a convenience store to buy some more minutes for my cell phone and the cashier complimented me endlessly on my Chinese. I walked by a grandpa holding his new granddaughter and he stopped me and said, “Hello! Hello!” and I smiled at the baby and said, “Ni Hao! Ni Hao!” There are restaurants that I want to try (even though or maybe because the menus are all in Chinese) and clothing stores that look like they might have my size.

As I strolled past the security guards in my complex they said, “Ni Hao!” and gave me a big smile, really making me feel welcome. Each time I come home it is a treat, I know they recognize me and I’m already looking forward to seeing them each day. The vibes are good here. I think the only thing that would make it better would be someone to share it with. Any takers?

Next week is one of the Golden Weeks – this one for National Day, so I have a full week off of work. It’s more time to explore and get settled in. Maybe I will buy a bicycle.

G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ni Hao Greta! I'm glad to see you're settling in and having a good time so far! I would love to join you in Shanghai....if I had any vacation days left :(

Crystal