Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Weather or not

The weather in China over the last week has made international news bulletins. I have gotten several emails asking if I was ok. I am fine, although hundreds of thousands of people have gotten stranded in train stations and in some areas of the country there are shortages of oil and power. Over the last week we have gotten about four inches of snow in Shanghai. That may not sound like a lot (especially to those Chicago folks who got a foot yesterday), but this is the most snow that Shanghai has had in over 15 years. The city has no snow removal equipment and all of the street cleaning is done the old fashioned way with brute force - shovels, boards, brooms and the occasional mop serving to clean the streets. This morning I woke up to another 2 inches of wet, sticky snow and slid my way to the train station to go to work.


An entire generation of Shanghai children is learning how to build snowmen and throw snowballs. One day on our way to Chinese class Chris and I saw at least three different sets of people taking their pictures in the snow. Later that day, I made Chris take the following pictures of me.




I also took a photo out the window of our apartment.
This photo was taken before the additional snow last night, so pretty much everything is white at this point. One of my coworkers is from Australia and she had never seen snow before. Having someone else experience snow for the first time is really special.

Part of the reason that the snow is causing so many problems is that next week is Chinese New Year. Everyone is going home for the holiday, so millions of people are traveling in this week leading up to the festival. I am not - my plan is to stay in Shanghai and take pleasure in doing nothing for awhile. Also Chris and my friend Matt is coming and we will be touring him around Shanghai. I'll put up pictures from Matt's visit in the future.

Q - I'm not sure if anyone is still reading my blog (except my parents), as my comments have dropped off sharply as of late. This time, if you're out there, please post a quote or funny story that I can use to inspire myself on these gray winter days or post your first memory of snow or your best memory of snow.

Also - an FYI, yesterday I finally successfully bought my hand lotion. One thing down, many more to go.

Cheers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the winter of 1967-68, we had snow in Angers. Like this winter in Shanghai, it was the first winter in many years in which snow had fallen in this part of southwestern France. Of course, the Americans were used to the blizzards of winter in South Bend, but the native Angevins were not. It was fairy tale like to see the buildings, monuments and streets covered in snow. And like you, we took pictures. Also, you will remember our spring break trip to the Grand Canyon and the massive ice storm in Flagstaff and wet snow storm on the south rim of the Canyon. Not many people see it like that. Remember the deer prancing around. It was a very unique time to tour there. Of course, and you do not remember, there was the part of the trip driving over the Rockies from Taos, New Mexico to the Four Corners in that snow squall. I still do not believe we did that. Snow begets snow angels and I guess they keep us all safe.

ANGERS II

Anonymous said...

Of course people are reading your blog! Mike is too, but he said he can never think of anything good to say in the comments because your questions are too tough. :-)

Since you and I have a history around skiing, I will tell you an embarrassing story about my early skiing days. I was probably around 10 years old, and I was at winter camp in Three Rivers, MI. Every year on New Year's Eve (or the day before, I can't remember) they take all the campers to Swiss Valley. You might be familiar with it. It's really tiny and human-made since there aren't too many wopping hills in southern MI. It wasn't my first time being there, but I was still pretty new to skiing. I had also never had to go to the bathroom before while skiing. I was usually able to just hold it until the end of the day when we went back to camp. This time was different. I couldn't wait. I asked several people where the bathroom was, and they all said the same thing before taking off down the hill: "It's in the lodge." The problem was, nobody told me where the lodge was. I was getting desperate. I didn't want to just abandon my skis, and I wouldn't know where to go anyway. In desperation, I flopped down at the top of one of the hills and just peed my pants. Luckily, I was wearing my underwear, long underwear, jeans, sweatpants, and snowpants, so it didn't go through. I stood back up and continued skiing for the rest of the afternoon with wet pants. Oh well! :-)

Enjoy the snow! I really miss it.

Anonymous said...

As I watch another 4 inches of snow fall outside, I would like to tell you my worse story of snow. I had just finished shoveling the entire sidewalk (Our house is on the corner), clearing all 8" or so... when a snowplow came by at great speed and recovered it all. Very upsetting. It sounds as though my snow removal services might be needed in China!

TED! said...

A snow story, hmm.

In ten minutes I have a conference call with Miller which recently merged with Coors which frequently uses snow imagery in its commcercials.

Yep, that's a winner.

David said...

I would post more often but I'm too busy working on projects for a client that I can't name, with one of my coworkers (who I also wont name). Unfortunately, he is in China having a good time.....

I'm not bitter about it though in case you are wondering.......

My best memory of snow was reading TED!s most memorable snow story! I love Coors!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Birthday greeting..
NOT.

Too much fun working on this F112 project that was done in October last year and someone didn't list on her projects when she went away than then John left and there's very little helpful history.... even in your e-mail.

Thanks Greta.

Not that I'm bitter. But Christine is since she's been mostly banging her head...

P.S. Snow story is some kids were patrolling the parking lot last night at the train station to make money shoveling people out since the snow was over the bumper.

P.P.S. Hope you are having fun...

Anonymous said...

Of course I continue to read your blog... I just have both hands busy with diapers and children and haven't been able to find a free hand to type with. Keep enjoying the adventure...

Mitch

Anonymous said...

Hey Girlie, I LOVE your blog and read it all the time. I do agree with Mike that the questions are too hard. I get performance anxiety just trying to come up with an entertaining answer and bail (sorry).
Snow stories- mine
On my way to Catholic gradeschool (in the stylish plaid pinafore and round collar shirt) and slipped down an entire flight of stairs on my underweared bottom but couldn't get back in the house so I had saggy and soggy knickers for the rest of the day. Comfy...

NorthWest Side snow story-
Blizzard of 1979- I watched from the window (I was 8) as most people on my block came out and worked as a group to shovel out every car AND the entire block! I had a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

SEE what I mean, these stories are not funny but good memories and now I feel guilty for not responding. :-(
Annette@CMAA

Anonymous said...

Hey Greta,

So I admit I am behind on the blog reading, but I love reading it. You are a great write in that you capture the detail where I can get a good picture of what you are doing in my head. Keep up the good work, this will be great to read when you look back at it in future years. My worst snow story....we had the 2nd worst snow in Boston, 34"in one night. Due to the weather, work was cancelled, so I didn't shovel out my car till the next night when I knew I had to go to work the next day. Well, when I got to my car in the morning, it was covered with snow from the plow that came through over night and it took me another hour to shovel it out again. UGH!