Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Year of the Rat

Happy New Year to you all! Chinese New Year has been an event - a week long celebration of family and friends. Our friend Matt has visited us since New Year's Eve (February 6th) and both guys took a lot of pictures. I didn't. I'm (as you probably realize by now), more interested in capturing people than things. Both guys have agreed to let me make copies of some of their pictures and when I do I will post them for your viewing. One benefit to being the one without a camera affixed to her face is that I am the subject of many of their pictures, proving beyond a doubt that I was in China for New Years. Here is one picture I took of the two of them at Yu Garden to prove that Matt really did visit:



This year is the Year of the Rat. Most of the decorations make the rat look more like a mouse and I think the Disneyland here is taking full advantage of the connection. I even saw some balloons with Mickey and Minnie on them. Rats are seen as good animals here and there are many stories about how the clever rat managed to manipulate the other animals so that it would be first on the Chinese zodiac. Rats are supposed to be charasmatic, charming and manipulative. I am a Monkey, so the Year of the Rat looks pretty good for me depending on the website you choose. One that we have had a lot of fun looking at is:

http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Rat.htm

This website also assigns an element to different years to coordinate with your year of birth and really gets some characteristics dead on. For example - I am a metal monkey: "Persuasive and passionate, this Monkey is a warm person. He is successful due to his innate determination and ambitious nature. He works hard to climb the ladder of success and prefers to work alone. They are loyal employees, always prepared and tactful with answers and upper management. In love these Monkeys are just as loyal as well as loving and affectionate. "

One thing that we had the opportunity to do was go to dinner with my friends Mike and Lily Chiang and their children. When I first got to China they were wonderful, making sure that I had everything I needed. We stuffed ourselves on dumplings, rice, soup and veggies and then Lily bought us cream puffs to take home. Below is a picture of me with their family in the metro station. It's been pretty cold here for Shanghai so we were looking for a warm spot to snap a photo.

Other Chinese New Year memories that I hope to expand on later - fireworks and firecrackers being lit in front of our building and hitting our window, getting carried along by the mob at Yu Garden trying to cross the bridge of nine turns, walking through the market and narrow streets after we found the fabric market was closed, Matt buying so many DVDs at the DVD store, eating Hot Pot and being the only customers in the restaurant, following the woman who decided to make it her mission that I found a milk tea, negotiating for Matt's rolex, burning incense at Jing'an Temple, the views of the city from the TV tower....

Question - What is your sign (Chinese or Zodiac)? Have you ever had a horoscope really predict your day or year? If you don't believe in horoscopes - what's the strangest horoscope you've ever heard?

Thanks to you who responded to my last post. I am glad you are still reading. Xin Nian Kuaile!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greta:
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the blog. I had surgery 3 weeks ago. Nothing life threatening,just girl stuff.
About your question:
This is "my" year. I am a rat. They say I have a quick wit, ability to accure & hold on to items of value. It is a symbol of "good luck" in China & Japan. I flaunt my excellent taste (?), my natural charm & a sharp, funny demeanor make me a appealing friend. I like to be on the outside looking in. I consider others before myself. But, I am a keen & "un" apologetic promoter. You don't want to get n my bad side...
That pretty much sums me up to a "t". It's funny how these things sound so much like ourself. It also says that Kurt & I are89% made for each other!!! Looks like we are in for the long haul.
Thanks for sharing your travels w/ us.
We love you,
K&T

Anonymous said...

Hi, Greta,
Of COURSE it's fun to keep up with your blog. And now Misha is practically counting down the days till her and Arnel's trip. I get the girls while they're gone :-) It'll be fun!
I've been doing a long-term sub job for a friend of mine who had surgery. How strange it is to walk back in "my" old school. Someone asked me if I'd been recalled? And last week we had 2, count 'em, 2 snow days! Now that was a treat instead of being an ordinary day.
Take care, stay warm, and let Misha know if you need anything from home.
Mary from MI

Unknown said...

Hi Greta!
It's nice to be back in the states and be able to keep up with your blog again. I am an Ox, which probably explains how I have the patience to work through long problem sets :) Happy Valentines Day!!

Much love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

although belated, i too am a monkey. according to the placemats at chinese restaurants, i should marry a dragon or some other sign (rat maybe?).
arnel is a dragon. it works.