Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring cleaning

We had a bit of a warm spell a couple of weeks ago, but the last two weeks have been on the chilly side with lows in the low 40s and highs in the mid 50s. Today was still chilly, but the sun peaked out and I finally took some "me time" for the afternoon. I headed up to my old neighborhood with the intent to get my hair cut and then possibly a massage and some window shopping.

The area where I got my haircut (Wujiang Lu) has had some pretty major changes happen and I knew that they were proceeding with knocking down some of the storefronts. Unfortunately, sometime since my last haircut my salon has also closed. I stood in front of the door forelornly for a while, then decided to try a new place. I had seen a sign for a salon close by and proceeded to find it. Alize Salon was on the second floor with a little boutique on the first. I paid considerably more (almost $12) for my wash, blow and cut, but James (or Jin) did a great job - putting shape back in my hair and awesome layers in the back. I am starting to be able to banter in Chinese and that made the afternoon even more enjoyable. Sunlight streamed into the pretty salon as we chatted and relaxed. I liked it so much that I bought a discount card. :)

I then walked home via one of the parks. The confidence that only comes from a great haircut added bounce to my step as I took in the city beauty surrounding me. The trees are in the "lace" stage and flowers are peeping up. I tried to take a picture, but my camera battery was dead. No matter - it was a great glimpse of spring. Dinner with a friend and then finishing up my taxes. Spring means April 15th is coming too.

Question - What do you consider your signs of spring? Baseball games? Twilight walks? Daffodils?

Mom comes on Wednesday. We head to Sanya on Monday, April 6th - Qing Ming Jie [Tomb sweeping day]. A week of rest. A week of family. Both much needed.

G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twice last week I saw and heard birds building nests. That was it for me; Spring was almost here, until we had 7 inches of snow in the suburb's over the weekend- ahhh, Chicago!
Annette

Anonymous said...

Glad to read that you continue to groom and have fun.

-mvs

Anonymous said...

Qing Ming Jie gives me the most spring feeling. My grandpa's tomb is located in a semi-wild hill. I always pick lots of wild potherb, bamboo shoot, tea, and rhododendra on the way there and back, with grandma, aunt, uncle, cousins, and parents. The lark's warble, the local farmers' smile, the green pond and hills, the warm fresh air, the red and pink rhododendra, the spring soil's aroma all make me in a real spring...

清明时节雨纷纷,路上行人欲断魂。
借问酒家何处有?牧童遥指杏花村。

哈哈~~~