Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Red?

I wore a bright red pair of tights to work yesterday. I think I may be starting to follow Chinese fashion.

A couple weekends ago I bought some new clothes at a very fashionable boutique. A pair of black velvet pants, a black cashmere sweater with a shawl attached that can be swept to one side, or in four other positions, a black ruffled shirt and a black structured dress with elbow length sleeves and pleats on the sleeves and at the bust. The unifying factor is that all of them were black. The sales girls (two of them) were incredibly helpful, bringing me over a dozen things to try on, necklaces, belts, shoes….As I was checking out with my purchases one of them disappeared, telling me to wait. She came back with a bright red pair of tights and told me that it was a free gift that I should wear them with my black dress. I looked at her and smiled and said – “But everything I bought is black, why the red tights?” She laughed and said, “Trust me.”

That was two weeks ago. The dress has been hanging in my closet, but yesterday I bravely put it on with the red tights. My cleaning lady complimented me as I left the house, then in the elevator, someone else complimented me. At work – I received five or six additional compliments. “Your tights look great!” “Beautiful color.” “Where did you get them?” Now that I think about it, no one actually commented on the dress, just on my legs.

The sales girl was right. At least in Shanghai.

Question – Any fashion stories? Things you thought were great but looking back you can’t believe you wore them? Share!

A big Happy Birthday to my dad for today!
Cheers-

G

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny....the day I wore my red satin shoes to work my manager told me they were "elf shoes" haha I don't think I could swing the red tights in Detroit. I want to see a picture of they "shawl" sweater....it sounds very complicated! I think when you eventually come back to the U.S. I am going to have to outfit check you for awhile :) Have fun with the bright colors! I'm a big fan the idea!

Anonymous said...

Back to junior high, I wore 95 Chicago Bulls' jerseys for a long time, I must thought I was pretty cool, lol... But 现在看来当时真的“很傻,很天真”。呵呵~