Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wandering

Going back to a place where you once lived gives you a new perspective. The place has changed, as have you. Shanghai is a city of constant change and after my relaxing summer in Chicago, I’m not the same either. Today is cloudy with hints of rain in the air and after lunch with a friend I took a long, meandering walk back to my hotel. This wasn’t my neighborhood before and it won’t be after I move in a week or two, but the cooler air made me want to explore.

I saw children chasing their grandpa as he bicycled down the street. I saw a store called “Meat Puppets” (not sure what they were selling), I saw dumpling vendors and flower shops and cute little clothing stores. I smiled inwardly at the Shanghai men carrying their girlfriends’ purses. I stumbled across one of the Blue Frog locations (a western chain known for its burgers). I watched people buy moon cakes to celebrate the festival on Monday.

As I wandered I thought about why I came back. When I’m here I feel an energy – this sense that I can try anything. It’s difficult to describe. From the fashion to the food to the crowded subways to the relief on people’s faces when they realize I speak some Chinese, it calls to me. In being so different, I am more me.

I start my job in a week so I have one free week to wander (and find an apartment, get my banking set up, see tons of friends…) before the real world intrudes on my fantasy or the fantasy becomes the real world. 谁知道?Who knows? Anything is possible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Birthday wishes go to my friend Joseph and my cousin Matt. It’s not Friday the 13th this year, but hope your birthdays were great just the same.
Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the real world becomes the fantasy someday. 呵呵

Anonymous said...

Greta!
It was very nice meeting you while you were back in Chicago.

I'm excited for you now that you're back in Shanghai. It makes me look forward, even more, to my own trip.

Hope we can keep in touch!
Jean

Anonymous said...

Greta,
I'm finally catching up on your blog. "Greta's world" ? I like that. Your cruise pictures were GREAT! I know whatever you name your blog, it will fit. Enjoy the next three years in Shanghai.

Eleanor (Chris's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Sweetie,
I'm so happy for you. Rock on!

Anonymous said...

FYI, A fun 90's band also named "The Meat Puppets"