Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year Musings

I have been in China just over two months now. Happy New Year from Shanghai! The majority of my New Year's Days I have spent in Jackson, Michigan, watching lots of football on TV. I must admit not seeing any football this year was very strange, but I'm sure the games will be there next year for me to watch.

The past few days I have been thinking about the freedom that living in a foreign country grants me. In Shanghai, almost all employees work overtime, people change jobs often, hundreds of new people come to the city every day. My students find the chapter on the workplace very useful. One chapter is entitled "Are you stressed out?" which merits a resounding "Yes" from almost everyone. Yet, when they ask me the same question I answer, "No."

Why am I not stressed out? I am working 21 hours a week with an additional 8 hours of prep time and studying 15 hours of Chinese a week. I'm doing language exchanges, going to dinner with friends, braving the bank, the post office, the supermarket and the gym, studying Chinese, working on my blog - so many things, but I'm not stressed. Why?

As far as I can tell, there are two main reasons:

1) I know that my time in Shanghai is concretely defined. My contract is through May 31st - my work visa is through May 31st. This gives me the ability to pick and choose what I like about the culture and the food and the people and know that I am going back to the States in the middle of June. All of my courses last 8 weeks - if I don't like something, it will change in less than two months.

2) Here I am responsible only for myself and don't need to worry about the long term effects of my actions. If I make a mistake or social gaffe, everything I do that is strange here is categorized as something "foreign." "Oh - you don't like to eat tripe - you're a foreigner." "Why don't you have soy sauce in your home? Oh, you're a foreigner." "Why are you taking pictures of our street? Oh, you're a foreigner."

It makes life a lot simpler. When I was in Spain I was worried a lot about "doing the wrong thing." but now I have mellowed and am more accepting of my own shortcomings and willing to accept help from others. Isn't that the first step of a 12 step program? I am a _________. I need help.

This acceptance is one of the things I was looking for by taking this sabbatical by removing myself from the ordinary. Mission accomplished.

Q - Have you had a trip where you were able to redefine yourself? Where were you? Who were you with? How long did you stay?

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greta.....I have not read your blog in a loooooooooong time and wanted to tell you how GREAT your stories are! I like your questions, but unfortunately, don't have any answers! I'm on the computer right now tracking Chris's flight from Chicago; They had thunderstorms there, so it didn't leave on time; It's due in @ midnight, but who knows???

Eleanor (Chris's Mom)

Anonymous said...

I don't have a trip where i was able to redefine myself. But I can say that finaly giving up on stress since it had overcome my life in too many ways for too long has been well worth it. Taking the job at bcbs has given me my life back. It's so nice to be relaxed during the day and it makes dealing with the stresses of real like (aka not my job) so much easier. I'm so happy to read about how much you are enjoying your experiences out there!

Anonymous said...

I can tell.

I also like the feeling of on a trip. In a place either with no people or lots of people (like Shanghai). My heart is release in both conditions.

I