Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dragons in the city


There are several elevated highways in Shanghai that provide faster access from north to south across the city. The major intersection of the north-south and east-west roads is visible from our office and I often pause for a second and view the lights and bustle as I refill my water cup throughout the day. Last week as I walked a client out, I showed him the view and he happened to have his camera.

This is what I can see everyday. The legend is that when they were trying to build the highways this interchange - which includes a pedestrian crossway and about eight layers of ramps and highways collapsed twice. They brought in a feng shui master who said that a dragon needed to be erected on the spot in the middle if they wanted to build the road. If you look at the pillar in the very center you can today see a beautifully carved dragon.

Not bad. 不错。

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like downtown extends far far away in any direction. :o