Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Shanghai haircut

I have been in Shanghai for four weeks today. I can't really believe how quickly the time has gone. That said, I desperately needed a haircut. My cut when I left Chicago needed to get touched up every 5 to 6 weeks and I was pushing six weeks now. With this goal, I decided to get my hair cut here in Shanghai.

Getting my haircut has always been a sensory experience. In my opinion when someone washes your hair and cuts and styles it, it is one of the most pampering experiences possible. I have had my hair long and had my hair short and short hair allows many more visits to the salon. My stylist in Chicago, Sam, is phenomenal and as my hair was getting longer I kept thinking about her and how easy it is to pick up the phone and make an appointment. Here, it's not so easy.

When I met other female teachers I would inevitably ask them where they got their hair cut. Two of the teachers who actually live in my building recommended the salon where they have been getting their haircut for the last 8 months. They have made friends with the stylists and said that it was a great experience as well as being very affordable. With that in mind, Liz, one of them, said that she would go with me to the salon on Wednesday to help me out and translate for me.

I have never gotten my hair cut where I haven't been able to talk to the stylist at all. When I was in Spain I spoke enough Spanish to keep up with the customary gossip - the weather, celebrities, etc. Here - nothing. I'm starting intensive Chinese classes on Monday, but that didn't help yesterday at all. Liz was kind enough to translate - I told her as long as I didn't have bangs and no color, I was fine.

The stylists and staff at the salon was great. It started with washing my hair, but they did it in the chair, not over a sink. I got a great scalp and temple massage at the same time. Then they rinsed my hair over the sink as I laid down on what looked like a recliner. Next the head stylist and a special friend of Liz's approached me. Liz passed on my instructions and then had to head to work, so I was on my own. Allong (I'm not sure how to spell his name) was very methodical, working over each section of my hair. I had told him I wanted it shorter, so he carefully shaped it. I watched, silent as he went through each section.

It was a very long haircut. I sat down in the chair initially at about 1:15 and I didn't finish until 2:40. There was only one skirmish - after Allong had finished the cut, he wanted to permanently straighten my hair (I think), but I refused. I haven't washed my hair myself yet, so maybe that was a mistake, but he blew it straight and I am very happy with the results. The cost for this haircut? 30RMB, about $4. Judge the results for yourself:






Question - Where have you gotten your best or worst haircut? Was color involved? How much did it cost?

Keep your comments coming. Hope all of you are having a happy holiday season. I think I'm going to need to download some Christmas music from itunes soon.

Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greta:
Love the hair cut. You look like a younger version of your Mother in the last photo!
I had waist length hair & got a spiral perm. Bad, bad idea. I have never had sooooo much hair in my life. A week after wearing it in a bun I cut it all off. Pixie short.
The best was a cut & color. It took the guy about 4 hrs.? I still think he had been drinking or "something". He put pastel purple, yellow & blue coloring on my hair? I was so scared of what it would look like. It was a very long 4 hrs., but to this day it was the best color / cut I have ever had.
Love hearing about your adventures...
Tina

Unknown said...

The haircut looks great :) Tina is right, in the last picture your profile looks exactly like Mom!! Crazy and we always joke you only look like Dad. So the worst haircut I ever had was when I was loosing my hair from the Dengue fever and I had to cut it about chin length. I cried as Don did that. Thank goodness my long hair is back now!

Anonymous said...

I told you you were mine! Your father is not going to get all the credit :) Your hair looks beautiful and for the price you could fly back to China every once and a while.

Love you,
MOM

Anonymous said...

Greta....I think your hair looks Great! and the price was right too! Well I am spoiled because Chris's sister, Bernadette is a stylist and she does my hair all the time for me. If she didn't, my hair would be VERY short. So I would have to say that Bern is the best; And as for the worst, it was some guy Daniel who I went to for my Senior Prom. As I sat and waited for my turn, and saw the other girls coming out, they looked beautiful; He must have used up all his energy on them, because when he got to me, he did a LOUSY job!! I had to go home and wash it and fix it myself! It is funny to look at the pictures though....I had one "unique" hair style....LOL

Eleanor (Chris's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Clearly this is not my area of expertise, being as I typically buzzcut myself at home or shave my own head. However, I've had my share of interesting cuts.

My favorite trips to the salon involved dyeing my hair (on two occasions) back in college, each prior to spring training. I took before/during/after pictures both times. The first time I left with blue hair, the second with hot pink. I think the price was around 30 dollars, by far the most expensive cuts I've ever had.

Ah, college. Good times, good times...

Oh, and your new haircut is very nice. It looks good on you.