Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Friday, November 9, 2007

On Food

Despite the food on a stick incident that I wrote about last time, I have had some excellent meals over the last week. I would be willing to bet that the Chinese invented fast food. There are so many stands selling all kinds of things - peanuts and crackers, meat on a stick, noodles, fruit drinks, dumplings, fruit, .... A culture that snacks. I hope I don't come home 20 pounds heavier. One thing I've tried is a dish that Shanghai is famous for - pork dumplings with broth inside. They are tricky to eat with chopsticks but really really good. My grandma is always saying that pork tastes different from when she was a little girl and now that I've had these dumplings I agree. They are savory and moist, a meatball wrapped in a dumpling with broth. Super good.

Another thing that I've had that was kind of by accident was a fish soup with a ginger broth. Last night I felt like soup, so I saw some people through a window eating soup and went in and pointed at it. It was excellent and I brought leftovers home. The fish was a white fish and there were pieces of ginger and mushrooms and seaweed in the broth. It hit the spot.

Spain girls - it is the season of mandarinas [clementines for the non-Spain folk] here - there are street vendors selling them everywhere, today I even saw a small truck with the entire payload full of mandarinas. Great citrus boost and so fresh and it reminds me of Spain.

One other thing I've had a lot of is a drink that they call "Milk Tea," it's a room temperature mixture of tea and milk with tapioca balls inside that you drink through a fat straw. I was addicted to Starbucks chai in the US and I think I may have found a new addiction here. It's the perfect midafternoon snack.

So, question #3 - what has been the best food that you've eaten while on a trip? Tell me about the perfect bistro in Paris, or the roadside stand where you had barbecue in the south. Share your food story!

Cheers!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christmas Day 1967:

In Salzburg, Austria staying in a small inn in the old section of town. The rooms were upstairs with a restaurant downstairs. Had gone to midnight Mass at the cathedral on Christmas Eve where an entire orchestra played in the choir loft. First Christmas day away from home - - ever. What to do? Too cold to wander around, besides most things were closed because after all it was Christmas. Retreated to the restaurant on the premises for lunch/dinner - - roast goose or duck, cannot recall which at the moment. But it was so good, ordered a second complete meal to the utter amazement of the waiter.


SUNDEF II

P.S. Fast forward to Father's Day 2005 outside of Ithaca, NY, in a converted gas station where we had an absolutely delightful meal which featured pumpkin soup!

Eleanor Armstrong said...

Greta....not the best food I had, but I ate poi for the first (and last)time while on vacation in Hawaii in 1971

Unknown said...

Hmm I still crave the pork and sticky rice and fresh fruit of Thailand and the amazing refried beans cooked by Alba Luz in Honduras and the ganga yamana juice and great veg food of India (including kudi in the mess hall and veggie burgers from MacDonalds)

Not part of your question...but what I DO NOT miss is Pan....I think after our Varanasi experience you would agree :)

Love you,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Eleanor beat me to it. Spring break 1973 in Hawaii - - at a evening luau on the beach under the stars with Don Ho singing, . . . I was served poi in a leaf. It was horrible and tasted like dirt!!!

Mom

Dan D. said...

Wow . . .probably a tie. First, in Venice, after an awful meal if "institutionalized" food for the civic band I was travelling with (my brother is a player, I a guest), I was determined to get a legit Venetian meal. The concierge directed us down one canal and over another, into the neighborhoods. Here, we were greeted with prosecco at a fantastic trattoria, and the meal of seafood from the Veneto, along with a regional red ("if it grows together, it goes together") was amazing! Then, on our honeymoon, we were taking cooking classes with the chef of a highly recommended (like, in every guidebook we saw!) local restaurant. Nightly specialties of the Peubla region from the master's hand (after our own meager attempts). Outstanding!

TED! said...

The In and Out Burger in Vegas. The In and Out Burger in Frisco was good too, but I won $100 shortly after leaving the one in Vegas, so it is slightly better.

Anonymous said...

I always have "local" food. Doesn't matter where I go. Gotta try it! Never remember Not enjoying it.
Tina

Anonymous said...

Greta, not necessarily the best food, but by far the best food experience was eating Gelatto with a glass of wine while overlooking Lake Como in Italy...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time - mvs