Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Saturday, June 7, 2008

If I were you...


Asking for advice – it’s something we do all the time without even thinking about it. Last night I consciously asked my friends here the following question:
“Give me advice! What should be next for me?”

Let me back up a bit.

Last night was my going away party. My ticket home is June 29th, but my parents come on Thursday and with the Dragon Boat holiday and scheduling, I decided to throw it last night. I invited my friends to one of my favorite places, the Party World karaoke club by Jing’ an Temple. As you know, I love to sing and so it was an easy choice. I’ve been to a couple of other places, but this one has the best selection of English songs and as I can only sing 2 songs in Chinese (with a cheat sheet), that was paramount.

Despite a slightly rocky start – the volume of the music kept getting softer for some reason and Curt had to leave just about as soon as he got there because of a work emergency, everything worked out great. Jane serenaded us with current Chinese pop. Geoff and I reprised our hit “Leaving on a Jet Plane” and added “Rocky Mountain High” to the mix. We all embarrassed ourselves by knowing the words to a Back Street Boys song. Sean did Blondie’s falsetto to perfection. Todd and Karen sang several ravishing duets at the front of the room and we chilled to “Day Dream Believer.” Then, for the grand finale we all stood up, abandoned the microphones, and sang Sinatra’s “My Way.” Iain attempted to use my camera to videotape this, but unfortunately (or rather fortunately), it didn’t work.



As we sang and ate and drank, I passed around a small notebook, with the first page stating what I mentioned at the beginning: “Give me advice! What should be next for me?” It moved from person to person, collecting in the process – a limerick from Sean:

“There once was a lady named Greta // Who really could not have been better // At K T V // She made a fool of me // And now I wish that I’d never met ‘er!”

A quote from Karen: “Yesterday was history, Tomorrow is the future, Today is a present!” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Functional language from Amber: “In my opinion / To be honest … maybe you should consider a future in singing.”

The resounding themes in the 12 entries were follow my bliss, have fun, stay in Shanghai, travel, open a KTV bar, enjoy the present and work towards finding happiness. Good wishes, good friends and singing – what more can a girl ask for?

Wrapped up the evening by taking a jaunt to the corner on the back of Geoff’s new electric bike and then since I didn’t have to get up today, went out to a couple of clubs with Sean where he cheerfully carried my dictionary (present from a friend) and tried to get me drunk. Didn’t succeed really, but the DJ at Shelter was phenomenal. Great pulsing beats – dropped in bed about 3am. Good party overall.

Question: It’s pretty obvious, I think. Give me advice! As I finish this chapter in my life, what should be next for me?

I expect a lot of comments on this one. I know you’re still reading, right? The blog will continue at least for another month or so, but there will be a break when I’m traveling with my folks. Then we’ll see what happens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to sing, go for American Idol; if you want to model, go for America's Next Top Model! You will always own my vote, you know it ^^!

Down to earth speaking, I have no idea for you...

But as long as the last, stable chapter is worth cherishing, any the mid-chapter could be exciting.

All the best,

I

Unknown said...

Well the dress you are wearing in the singing pictures is really cute, so you should continue to be fashionable :) As for the future just don't be afraid to try things and then switch things up if you don't like them. If you are flexible most decisions are not so major. Love you much and see you very soon!

~Anne

David said...

Come back to Mercer. Tom needs you!

Anonymous said...

it doesn't matter what i would do... what do you want to do? ;)

Two Stickney said...

My advice: Be ready and willing to take advantage of the oppurtunites that have yet to present themselves. You seem like you would thrive doing almost anything. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Greta when are you going to have the tailor-made chance to easily get a job in another country? Frankly, you have the references, the skill and the passion to teach ESL. Stay and experience the Olympics or move to another Chinese speaking country and further the adventure. Remember, I sat in Paul's class with you when you couldn't count and now you are singing in Chinese!
I know everyone who reads this will hate me but I say keep exploring overseas.
By the way, this is one of those times when I'm glad I really don't know your friends and family, for obvious reasons.

Anonymous said...

You are only young once, now is the time to explore and try as much as possible. Whatever comes your way, just enjoy it and be happy!!