Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Monday, May 5, 2008

A Tribute to Two Travelers

As long as I can remember, my grandparents were telling me stories about their travels. They traveled extensively within the US and in the 1980s and 1990s extensively abroad, eventually going to all of the continents except Antarctica. While on their trips they bought rugs, baskets, fabric, jewelry and other handicrafts that were unique to their destination city. Each souvenir had a story and each time we went to the house in Frankenmuth we would hear one, "When we were in Egypt we..." "The time we went to Russia..." "I remember that I wanted to try bungee jumping when we went to Australia, but..."

As I got older, I would learn about the trips before they went instead of after. Before heading to Greece my grandmother asked me what souvenir I wanted. The movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" had recently come out and I told her, "Bring me back a handsome Greek man!" She smiled, but a couple months later when I saw her she presented me with a small statue of a handsome Greek man in traditional Greek clothes. We laughed and laughed.

When they traveled they most often took bus tours and the people that they traveled with became part of the story. "The Sari Group" was the people they traveled India with and one of the members was very good friends with two up and comers in the world of politics at the time named Bill and Hillary Clinton. For many years after the trip the sari group rejoined from corners of the United States to tell of more stories and tell of more travels.

My grandma always had good packing advice when I started traveling abroad. Her list of necessities always included a roll of toilet paper and a roll of duct tape. She told me that you could fix anything with duct tape and the TP normally came in handy somewhere. Another tip was to take your oldest underwear on the trip and then after wearing it, throw it away so you had more room in your luggage for souvenirs. Makes sense right?

My grandparents traveled to China in the mid80s. Since then my grandmother has always said, "China is the future." So few foreigners were in China at that time that their group was the center of attention where ever they went. There was one woman with long red hair and whenever she sat down on a bench or at a restaurant people would form a circle around her to stare and touch her hair. I remember a story about my grandfather eating an entire bird that was presented to him at a banquet (bones and all) because that was how to eat it. Another one was that they went to a high school auditorium to see school children do a performance. The gym smelled strongly of paint and when they left they realized that the walls had been freshly painted only minutes before they came so that everything would be neat and clean for the foreigners. A lot has changed since then, but I still get stared at occasionally, even in Shanghai, and as you know from my blog, eating interesting things remains possible.

Last week, both of my grandparents went on their last trip. My grandfather passed away on April 27th and my grandmother passed away on May 1st. My grandmother was a huge fan of my blog and would clip articles about traveling from her newspaper and send them to me while I lived here. I received the last one on April 29th. The travelling gene must be hereditary and the stories and example my grandparents set have influenced me. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa.

Question - Who has encouraged you to travel?

To my grandparents and to you all:
May the road always rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall softly on your fields.
And until the time that we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hands.
-An Irish Blessing

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Greta,
What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents! I was sooo saddened to hear of your grandfather, and then the news of your grandmother - well, it just took my breath away! Oh, how difficult it must be for your mom! And for you, being so far away! But you know, it's not unheard of for a devoted married couple to die within days of each other. Perhaps it's God's final blessing on them.
Keep your fond memories, Greta - they're the most precious heritage we receive from our grandparents.
Hugs from Mary L.

Anonymous said...

Greta,

Thank you.

Love,

MOM

Anonymous said...

Greta --
I have been thinking about you a lot in the last week. My heart goes out to you and I hope you memories bring you comfort.
Love,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Greta.....what a WONDERFUL story about your grandparents! You were so lucky to have them in your life and that they encouraged you to travel. They, in turn, were lucky to have you in their life also.

Eleanor
Chris's Mom

p.s. I have to say, no one comes to mind when you ask "who encouraged me to travel" :(

Unknown said...

Thanks Greta you phrased everything so wonderfully!

Love,
Anne

Cody said...

Now I know why I thought you weren't keeping up on your blog, Greta. I had a December bookmark for it. Sorry to accuse you of such negligence. It's me that should be cained! In fact, it appears I've been missing a lot of good reading and have some catching up to do. Great job.

To add to your "Travelers Tribute" I can add one story that I always thought so funny regarding their trip to China. In the strange, wonderful and intelligent way of my aunt and uncle, when they would travel, they would always take their old and worn out cloths on these trips. As their cloths got dirty, instead of cleaning them and continuing to tote them along, they would lighten their load and just throw their dirty cloths away. I thought this was brilliant and use this travel technique I learned from them, as well as many others, ever since.

Well, on this trip to China, however, the Chinese thought your grandparents had made a mistake by leaving their cloths in their hotel room, so when your grandparents got home, they discovered their dirty cloths had followed them around the world and had been sent to them from the hotel they left them. Of course, your Grandma just thought this was the greatest thing to show how polite and hospitable the Chinese are. She went on and on about getting her dirty old cloths back from the Chinese.

What a funny story that was to me and just one I will always remember.

I hope you are doing well.

Love,
Cody

Anonymous said...

Hi Greta,

This was a beautiful peice written about your grandparents and they'll be happy to know you have such fond memories of them and their stories. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Best,
Valerie