Thank you for reading

Due to time limitations and internet protocols I am officially closing the Shanghai Chronicle after getting so many emails - "Are you still in China?" The answer is "Yes." Living life is taking up my time. If I again blog, I will make sure to let you know. Two years isn't bad!



All the best - G (2010.03.16)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Preparing to Leave

Preparing for a trip is always stressful, especially when going somewhere that I have never been before. This week is preparation week - changing addresses, getting a flu shot, cleaning my apartment and brushing up on my Mandarin. As you all know, I'm leaving for China next Wednesday, October 31st (also known as Halloween), with a direct flight from Chicago to Shanghai Pudong. I'm excited and nervous and ready to get moving.

The intent of this blog is to post my thoughts, stories and hopefully pictures during my stay in Shanghai over the next several months. To get you started on this adventure, I have posted a couple of links including my school and the Shanghai Wikipedia entry.

I thought a fun way to make the blog more interactive is that I will ask a question of you at the end of each entry. Please post your response so that everyone can see!

Question 1: What is the most important thing that you have ever forgotten to take on a trip?
(Hopefully I won't make the same mistake.)

Best wishes-

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Greta,
Deodorant! Remember how you used to always have to remind me to pack that on family vacations? Well we all want you to make a better first impression so pack that stick. A less embarrassing thing I've seen a lot of people forget is the appropriate usb cable for their camera. Good luck packing.
Much love,
Anne

Unknown said...

A good towel. As I have many times stayed in places that don't provide them, a good light-weight can be essential. Air drying just does not always cut it, you just don't feel as fresh.

Cory

Anonymous said...

A small battery powered alarm clock..for all those weekend trips in the cheap hotels that don't offer wake up calls!

Good Luck

Amy

Anonymous said...

Anything "special" that u are use to having in the states. A lotion, face cream, whatever it may be. Make sure u have enough to get u through so u don't have to do w/out.
Good luck, have fun & most of all be careful.Look forward to hearing from u.Much love, Uncle Kurt & Tina

TED! said...

Beer. I always take for granted how easy it is to get beer at all hours of night in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Because you may end up going to a wedding or other formal accasion I suggest that one pair of very comfy dress shoes and an outfit because you will be a giant amoung women (hee hee!) there and it may be costly to buy. But otherwise I agree with Ted! beer is always a concern ;-)
Have fun,
Annette

Tina said...

I left my driver's license and debit card at my apartment when I went to Europe for the first time. I had my passport, so ID was no problem, but I had a car rental in Scotland...My friend managed to make it back to the apartment and get me my stuff at the airport about 10 minutes before I left.

David said...

Study material! What else are you going to do on a 24 hour plane ride with an exam coming up???

David

Anonymous said...

Greta,
A corkscrew. It never translates well and has been frequently essential.
DMS

Unknown said...

Hey Greta..
Somehow I got your blog sent my way. You are in for a great experience so I thought I respond on a couple things I think you'll need, as I've spent some time in China. Hope you have a great, safe, and enjoyable time.
#1. Portable DVD player (let me know if you want to borrow one before you leave...I have one)
#2. Gum. I'm not sure if you think fish flavored gum is tasty, I sure didn't
#3. Batteries (including your trusty phone charger)
#4. IPOD and extra earphones
#5. Hat(s). Sometimes it's best to keep things on the 'downlow'. Especially at night.
#6. Swiss Army Knife (lotsa gadgets)
#7. And of course, the usuals, have someone get your mail (sort it), don't bring your keys (no need for them and it's just inviting the chance you lose them, and have Anne pay your bills!! J/k.....


Enjoy.

Unknown said...

haha Kyle, you know I offered to take care of Greta's bills but for some reason she didn't trust this poor grad student with her money! What's your email address? I don't have it anymore!

Eleanor Armstrong said...

Greta,
I was going to the shore and forgot my clothes on hangars. Had to borrow clothes all weekend from my friends....LOL

Eleanor (Chris's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Anne,
It's langkyl@chrobinson.com. Aren't you in school at Northwestern? I could be wrong. Greta....glad to see you are settling in!! I'll hold down the fort here in Chicago.